Penygarn Community Primary School Curriculum Summary
At Penygarn Community Primary School, our vision for our children is to have a curriculum that reflects and addresses the aspirations of our community. We endeavour to deliver a curriculum that raises aspirations, and promotes ambition within the children. Our curriculum is underpinned with the core belief to be: respectful and empathetic to each other, our community and within the wider world.
Our vision for the curriculum is centred around the core belief that every child is unique and that our curriculum is responsive to the needs of individuals.
When considering our vison for our school curriculum, all stakeholders considered the question: “What is it that we want for our children to experience, and leave with at the end of their primary school experience?”
Our Curriculum supports our children to realise the four purposes. Our children will be:
- Ambitious, Capable Learners
- Ethically, Informed Citizens
- Enterprising, Creative Individuals
- Healthy, Confident Individuals
The curriculum is the means by which the school achieves its objective of educating children in the knowledge, skills and understanding that they need in order to lead fulfilling lives. These are the main values of our school, upon which we have based our curriculum:
- We value the way in which all children are unique, and our curriculum promotes respect for the views of each individual child, as well as for people of all cultures.
- We value the spiritual and moral development of each person, as well as their intellectual and physical growth.
- We value the importance of each person in our community.
- We organise our curriculum so that we promote co-operation and understanding between all members of our community.
- We value the rights enjoyed by each person in our society.
- We respect each child in our school for who they are, and we treat them with fairness and honesty.
- We aim to enable each person to be successful, and we provide equal opportunities for all the children in our school.
- We value our environment, and we aim, through our curriculum, to teach respect for our world, and how we should care for it for future generations, as well as our own.
- We value the importance of developing healthy attitudes to food, fitness and our own wellbeing
As a school we endeavour to develop these values through:
- enabling all children to learn and develop their skills to the best of their ability
- promoting a positive attitude towards learning, so that children enjoy coming to school, and acquire a solid basis for lifelong learning
- teaching children the basic skills of literacy, numeracy and information technology
- providing opportunities for children to be creative, and to develop their own thinking
- teaching children about their developing world, including how their environment and society have changed over time
- helping children understand the local community, that he/she is part of; the cultural heritage of Wales and the wider world
- supporting children to be positive citizens in society
- teaching children to have an awareness of their own spiritual development, and to understand right from wrong
- helping children understand the importance of truth and fairness, so that they grow up committed to equal opportunities for all
- enabling children to have respect for themselves and high self-esteem. To respect differences in people’s race, culture and customs and be able to live and work co-operatively with others
This curriculum summary is a snapshot of our evolving vision, it will evolve and change as we move forward together, but it will always reflect our goal:
Nurturing the hearts and minds of the future
Magu’r galon a’r meddwl o’r dyfodol